Sunday, November 26, 2017

One Last Hunt

Emma and I returned to the Shawnee Creek Covert on the last day of the season.


 
 
We found splash but only a few birds.
 

 
Emma on point.

 
Several birds gave me no chance for a shot, but I did manage to down a big hen woodcock with my left barrel.
 
And so ends another woodcock season. The birds seem to be migrating late this year. I found native birds early in the season, then mid season my coverts were empty as the natives had moved south and the northern birds had yet to arrive and now at the end of the season I'm finding the big hen woodcock who start south before the smaller males.
 
As I get older the seasons get more precious and the experience of walking through a lovely covert is in its self a wonderful memory, with the birds being a special bonus.


No comments: