Friday, November 17, 2017

Canaan Valley Hunt

I met up with Eric Rinehart yesterday to hunt the Canaan Valley in West Virginia. Made famous in George Bird Evans writings as a grouse and woodcock mecca in the 50's and 60's. It's a mere shadow of it's former glory days drawing hunters now who are more interested in it's history and wild desolate scenery than killing a ton of birds.
 
 
I brought Emma to hunt with Eric's 7 month old Tucker.
 


 
As expected Tucker still has a lot of  "play" in him but with experience he should grow into a fine birddog.
 
Emma found us one woodcock which gave me "the slip" flushing out behind both Emma and myself. It was a windy day which no doubt hindered Emma's scenting ability. Later Emma had a strong point that proved to be empty, the bird must have flown before I reached her.
Although I would have liked to hunted longer my knee started to "complain" and I had to call it a day. Hopefully next year we can hit a "flight" of birds and have more shooting. If not we'll still enjoy the immense solitude that the Valley offers.


No comments: