Friday, November 10, 2017

A Slow Week

I had expected to find more birds this week, but the woodcock proved me wrong.  Appointments and the weather kept me from hunting until Weds. when Thicket and I headed for the Church Hill covert. A thin covering of snow clung to everything.

 
Although we hunted hard the woodcock were few. I did end up with this pic.
 
I had the camera out taking a pic of a hawthorn tree when Thicket came in from my right and bumped a woodcock. When I got home I found this pic on the camera. When the bird flushed I must have had my camera pointing at just the right angle and instinctively hit the shutter button. I didn't realize I had even taken the pic.  It was truly a one in a life time shot.
I cropped the pic the get a nice "shot" of just the bird.
 
On Thurs. Thicket and I headed to the J & K covert. A huge reclaimed strip mine sitting on top of a mountain growing back with locust, spruce and a scattering of aspen. I've never found a lot of birds here but do have some wonderful memories of hunts with Emma.


This day no birds were found.
 
On Friday my friend Russell and I hunted the Piney Creek covert with Emma.
Usually my most reliable covert we didn't find a single bird today.
 
So what I thought would be a good week for woodcock turned out just the opposite.


1 comment:

Gil said...

Rick, great photo of the doodle and the miss is appreciated. Hope to see it soon. ;) Gil in the lowcountry. Gil