Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The Church Hill Covert

Hunted the Church Hill Covert yesterday with Emma, A rabbit hunter told me about this reclaimed strip mine where he sometimes jumped a "ton" of woodcock while hunting rabbits.





 
The birds were there and Emma put on a show. She started off by bringing in a pheasant with a broken wing.

 
Then she got serious.

 
 
My shooting hasn't been the best this year so I changed guns and carried Colette the Leige built 16 gauge.  I took 5 shots and dropped 2 birds, not great but it satisfied me. Emma had probably 5 or 6 other points in which the birds used the terrain to their advantage and didn't give me a chance to shoot.

 
 
I saw this little fellow sitting under one of  Emma's points.  I don't feel right about shooting a bird that has "looked me in the eye" so after a couple of pics I flushed it and watched it fly away.
 
 
These reclaimed strip mines have really surprised me with the amount of woodcock that some of them hold.

No comments: