Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Start of New Families

The nest boxes that I have scattered around the farm are becoming homes.  First to claim a box are the Bluebirds.  I have two boxes with eggs in so far. The parents are proving to be camera shy so I don't have any pics of them just their eggs.

 
I've been busy building a new chicken coop and limb grafting apple trees so I haven't gotten a chance to check many of my Chickadee boxes which are located back in the woods away from the orchards. The one that I did check on this morning held a nice surprise.
 
The Tree Swallows are back as well but have just now started to claim their boxes. In another week or so I imagine they will also be building nests and laying eggs.

 
I did find this "interloper" in one box and evicted her.
 
I really enjoy my nest box trail. It's almost like a box of Cracker Jacks with a surprise in every box.
 


No comments: