Friday, November 5, 2010

Introducing........ Collett

Once in a great while a gun deal will come along that you just can't refuse. "Collett" was such a deal. Owned by Mark Larson whose moniker is UncleDanFan on the 16ga.com board he had found this little Belgium guild gun a year or more ago and had "cleaned her up" and posted pics on the board. I was immediately in awe of the gun and had joked with Mark about letting me have first chance when he decided to "move it along" but never thought I would ever have that chance. Suddenly last week I got an email from Mark. He had lost his camera while hunting and had decided to part with the little Belgium as a way of getting a new camera. The price he quoted was more than fair and a money order was send straight away. Two days ago she appeared at my door and today was her first hunt. The grouse didn't cooperate as usual but Hattie did have several woodcock points. I was able to get a shot at this bird and the cylinder bored right barrel brought her down.As I mentioned earlier she's a Belgium guild gun. A guild gun is a gun built by a number of different gunsmiths each having their own special skill. For example the stock was built by one person, the barrels by another, and the action by another. Built in the 1880's with 30 inch damascus barrels choked cylinder & cylinder and weighing 6 lbs. 3 ozs. She's a wand to carry and today ,at least, a deadly wand.

At the end of the hunt, a tired Hattie with her bird.


Just shut the door and let me sleep :).



3 comments:

Ed said...

Nice gun! Someday I'll have to get me a hammer gun!
The comment fits the last picture!

Albert A Rasch said...

Sir,

What a beauty!

(Both Hattie and the Belgium!

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles: Instincts and Hunting

Greyphase said...

Thanks guys. These hammerguns have alot of character & their neat to hunt with.