Thursday, November 12, 2020

Finally Success

 Bliss and I finally had some success today in the Harrier Ridge covert.  Her first point was in some open pines that proved to be a hen pheasant. Growing up in Pa hen pheasants were protected but now their legal game and I broke a wing with the left barrel with Bliss making a nice find and retrieve. 


The 16 gauge Model 51  Husqvarna  built in 1912 did it's job.


We worked our way to a series of small ponds with some scattered aspen cover.  And found some woodcock.  The first bird held nicely for Bliss but had it's escape route planned ahead and I missed with both barrels.  Soon she was on point again and I hurried in and flushed the bird.  Lady luck was with me and I dropped it with the left barrel.



We found one more woodcock but it ran out from her point and flushed without a shot.  


Here's hoping that the flights have begun and we'll find a few more birds before the season ends.

3 comments:

Gil said...

Good going! How long is your doodle season? Ours starts Dec. 5. Gil

Greyphase said...

Hey Gil, our season goes out Nov. 27 I don't believe many birds have come through yet.

Gil said...

Floyd and I ran our dogs yesterday in mixed quail and wc habitat before it got too warm. Didn't see any birds, but it was the first day this year where morning temps weren't reptile friendly. Last season by this time you had some brutal weather which stacked them up here all season. Gil