Saturday, November 24, 2018

End of the Season

With freezing rain in the forecast for the last day  of woodcock season Bliss and I headed for the Piney Creek covert yesterday for one last hunt.  The woodcock have been strangely absent from my coverts this fall. Disappointing because Emma is in her 11th year and her hunting days are winding down and Thicket and Bliss needed birds to improve their skills. But this year turned out to be the worst year for bird numbers I have ever experienced.  Bliss was able to find and point two woodcock yesterday. I am astonished by this pup's natural ability to find and point birds right from the start of the season. Still shooting blank loads over her so her retrieving ability will not be tested until next year.  Here are a few pictures from yesterday's hunt.


 
 
Piney Creek running high.
 
 
The sign that quickens a woodcock hunter's heart. 
 


Bliss on point.
 

 
 
The Pa. Game Commission has opened the woodcock season back up on Dec. 10 until Dec 18.  I have not seen the reason why they have done this but I will be walking my coverts with the dogs and a hammer gun on the slim chance of finding a stray bird.
 


5 comments:

Bill Press said...

Hi Rick,
I'm encouraged by Bliss' woodcock work. If I recall correctly, you were concerned
about this during her last season. I'm glad she got past that scary puppyhood stage that so many setters go thru.

This past spring I found a spring flight of woodcock in a nearby swale covert where I'd stocked 50 bred pheasant hens the week before, hoping for some local reproduction. But no young pheasants ever materialized. But the woodcock are there in late March, most years in some numbers, altho that same spot is usually empty come October and November. Isn't this so often the pattern with spring 'cock coverts?

The one thing that's saved my bacon with two young dogs was having had a friend open a regulated shooting grounds about 10 miles east of Keyser's Ridge exit. I use it for entertaining a few select of my business clients. On his slow days he keeps me informed so I can run out for a couple hours 2-3 times a week. I only shoot birds that are out and about, previously released, and only roosters over points, which keeps the pups sharp.

Which is a long way around to giving you an invite to join us sometime at your convenience. You'll get your own section to work alone with your dog. I don't gang up on birds or dogs. It would be a pleasure to treat you to an afternoon.

My email at Hotmail was hacked last winter and I didn't remember your direct email, hence this invite in a public forum. If you'd like to come over for a shoot, call my carry cell @ 240-321-0364 and leave your email addy and we can finalize. It would be fun to meet face to face with a guy whose pictures and stories have given me so much enjoyment.

Mark V.

Greyphase said...

Mark

Tried you # but didn't work. You can contact me at rickjanet@hotmail.com

Gil said...

Rick, good to hear that Bliss has the golden nose. Hopefully the Dec. season is better although they may have completed the bug-out by then and headed my way. ;) Gil

Greyphase said...

Hey Gil
Expect to see pictures and hear reports of your hunts on the 16 ga. forum. :)

Bill Press said...

will do
I have no idea why that # didn't work for you. I use it everyday

I'll email you.