Thursday, November 5, 2015

Troubles with Thicket

Thicket has developed the disturbing habit of leaving a point as I walk in for the flush. She simply turns 360 degrees and walks away. I've also seen her trot past woodcock as they flushed and show no excitement at the flush. She started this several hunting trips ago and yesterday left 3 points that held woodcock and I also saw several woodcock flush as she hunted through the cover that she paid no attention too. After starting the season off so good she now has me stymied. It's as if she's decided that woodcock aren't worth her attention. I'm hoping it's just a "teenager" thing as she is 1 1/2 years old. I'm going to leave her at home for a few days and hunt Emma instead. I'll be meeting a friend in  the Canaan Valley in WV next week and plan on taking Thicket along  to see if hunting with another dog stirs her desire. She has the bloodlines to be a good solid birddog and hopefully this is just a "hiccup" in her learning curve.

No comments: