Sunday, September 15, 2013

Just a Couple of Miscellaneous Pics

On my last fishing trip I came across these wood turtles sharing a passionate moment. I've come upon box turtles and snapping turtles in the same situation and wondered just how this all happens. A search on Google told me that a turtles sex organs are located in their tails. I guess Mother Nature has everything figured out.

Have been seeing a large number of Praying Mantis this fall. This one seemed as interested in me as I was in her.

I'm proud of my apple grafting successes this year. Here I am with some of my best growers. A Milo Gibson, a Washed Russet, and a Red Limbertwig. Heirloom varieties unknown to 99% of the population, they have never the less survived and have been grafted on for a hundred years or more. At one time there were thousands of varieties of apples but most have been lost due to the commercialization of the apple industry. Lately there has been a resurgence in heirloom apples and I get a great satisfaction doing my part in helping these old apples survive for future generations to experience.

No comments: