Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Windy Opener

The opening day of Pa's 2011 season started clear but with a howling wind that made for some jumpy birds.Several times Emma went on point but when I approached with hammers back she broke point, racing around for scent but the bird, I guess, had already flushed ahead of us. I did manage to see one woodcock that looked to have run from her point flush ahead of her , then as she cast around another bird took flight. That was the extent of my bird sightings.

Emma working a hawthorn thicket.

Some of the aspen cover that proved to be empty today.




I was carrying Colette, the little 16 ga. Belgium hammergun, today.







The food was there, so where were the birds?




































By the end of the day Emma and I were both tired but happy to have spent the day doing what we love.

















1 comment:

ruff hunter said...

Glad to see you were able to get out and get into the woods... Can't wait to hear about it when the leaves get down.