Saturday, June 9, 2018

Pictures from the Orchards

Just some random pictures I've taken over the past few days while working in the orchards.




Found this little fella sleeping away the day waiting for Mom to return.
 
 
 
With all the wet weather we've had over the past several years the vernal pond has been carrying water year round. Whether or not it can still be call a vernal pond I don't know, but it is a place of serenity.
 
 
 
Williams Pride and Chestnut Crab are a few of the apples I'll get to try this fall if the deer, bear, and raccoon let me.
 
 
 
Fireblight can be very destructive in an orchard. Pruning 8-12 inches past the infected branch is required and then burning or bagging the infected branch is needed to stop the spread. This is the first year I've had to deal with this disease and it has only infected a few trees but I'll have to remain vigilant in the years to come.
 
 
 
This box of Chickadees are only about 100 yards from the house. My feeders should be full of Chickadees this fall.
 

 
One box of Bluebirds just born and another box ready to fledge.
 
 
I have just 2 boxes of Tree Swallows this year. One can only guess as to the difficulties birds encounter on their migration each year.
 
 
 
Hope you enjoyed sharing my walk through the orchards, and Bliss says Hi to everyone.