Saturday, October 21, 2017

Success

For those of you who have been following my blog for the past year or so you may remember the troubles that I was having with Thicket and her distain for woodcock. Today she took a big step in the right direction. We hunted Piney Creek for about 2 hours without any success. As I approached the truck her beeper went on point mode 30+ yards behind me.  She held the point as I hurried to her. I found her still on point facing a  fallen tree top covered with vines and briers. The woodcock flushed giving me a fine chance and I dropped it with the right barrel. It fell into heavy cover and I had to circle around some trees to get to the area. I searched anxiously for it as I called Thicket in. She searched diligently but the bird was no where to be found.  I was worried that we had lost the bird when suddenly she stuck her head into a mass of briers and pulled out the bird. I would never had found that bird and to say that I was ecstatic would be an understatement.




 
If she keeps turning in performances like she did today she just may be able to take Emma's place when the time comes.

No comments: