Saturday, October 27, 2018

A Quiet Start

Two weeks into the woodcock season and I still have not found woodcock in any numbers.  Hunting my best coverts has only produced a bird or two each time out. Bliss has been phenomenal pointing the only birds we have found 2 woodcock and 2 pheasants. I'm shooting blanks over her to get her use to gunfire so no birds for her to retrieve yet.


Not since my first setter Hattie have I had a setter pointing so well so young. I'm sure she will make some mistakes as I get her into more birds but she is off to a great start.
 
Thicket found one woodcock for me in the immense Blandsburg covert, which I missed with both barrels. Cover like this should hold birds but not on the day I was there.




 
Of course it's still a joy to be out walking the coverts watching a young dog's natural instincts develop.



 

2 comments:

Gil said...

Rick, she sure is stylish and pretty. Gil

Greyphase said...

Thanks for the compliment Gil, I'll pass it along to Bliss. :)